EATING WITH BRACES: WHAT TO BE AWARE OF?
BEFORE YOU EAT, YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT:
- Will this food damage my braces (or cause an emergency)?
- Will this food affect my smile after orthodontic treatment?
- Is is it worth the trouble eating something I am not supposed to?
Here is a list of what foods are recommended or not with braces:
- Bananas and other soft fruits (cut into small pieces)
- Soft fresh bread (not hard crusty bread)
- Soft savoury baked goods
- Pasta/Noodles/ Rice/Mashed potato
- Meat (cooked softer and cut up into smaller pieces)
- Spinach (this can still get stuck in your braces)
NOT RECOMMENDED WITH BRACES
- Uncut apples
- Uncut carrots
- Chewy lollies (Fantales, Starburst)
- Hard candy
- Brittle candy
- Ice cubes or ice blocks
- Corn on the cob
- Chewing meat from the bone\
- Corn chips
- Crispy taco shells
- Hard biscuits
- Pizza crust
- Bread crust
(consume in moderation and not eaten between meals):
- Soft drinks
- Sports drinks
- Citrus fruits
- Chewing gum
- Ice cream
- Milk shake
- Banana split
- Sweet food (baked goods etc.)
- Added sugar
- Chewing gum
- Candy snakes
- Gummy bears
- No chewing on drink bottles, pens or finger nails
- No chewing meat off bones eg. Chicken drumstick, pork chop, T-bone steak
THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT BECAUSE YOU WON’T BE ON AN ALL SOUP DIET!
This list may seem daunting at first but very soon you will understand what feels comfortable to eat and what does not! After your first few adjustment appointments you may experience some sensitivity as your teeth start to move. During this time you will find it more comfortable to eat softer foods like soup but once your teeth have adjusted you should be able to eat most of your favourite foods as long you take extra precautions like cutting them up, cooking them softer and avoiding the hard foods!
DO I HAVE TO AVOID THE FOODS ON THE ‘NOT RECOMMENDED’ LIST?
It is in the best interest of your orthodontic treatment that you do, but of course we understand that everybody has to have a piece of chocolate every now and then.
If you do think you need to have a sugary or acidic snack then we recommend drinking and swishing water directly afterwards and waiting 30 minutes before brushing.
Throughout treatment we firmly recommend you avoid crunchy/hard food. Avoiding crunchy foods is more important as these can physically damage parts of your braces and slow down your treatment.
If you need any other help while you’re on the road to a beautiful smile, or if you’re considering orthodontic treatment, please do not hesitate to contact us.